You probably know that it is recommended to get antivirus software on your computer. But you may also have heard the conspiracy that viruses are created by antivirus software programmers, just so you feel compelled to purchase their product. Whichever side of the fence you are on, you will not be the only person who doesn’t have such a software package on their computer. And you will not be the only one who feels that virus attacks only happen to other people. But the reality is that if this applies to you, you need to compare antivirus software immediately and make a decision in terms of which one to have. Here are five reasons why that is the case.
5 Reasons Why You Need Antivirus Software
- The best antivirus programs can claim 90% efficiency. That is better than some birth control methods! Sure, it is not 100%, but that is only because the world of virus and antivirus is like a cat and mouse game. New viruses are constantly being developed, and antivirus programmers are doing all they can to keep up. So, by installing a program, you reduce your chances of being affected by a virus by 90%. That’s significant.
- Viruses do not happen to other people, they happen to everybody. Just like identity theft doesn’t happen just to celebrities or rich individuals who seem to have an identity worth stealing. In fact, they are almost never the victim of identity theft. You, an everyday person, are actually a far more interesting target. An antivirus program can protect you from that.
- Antivirus programs will always make sure that your system continues to run properly. If you are infected by a virus, you have the option of manually removing it. If you can find it, that is. However, the chance of accidentally deleting some key component of your operating system that looks insignificant or even malicious is huge. Plus, some viruses actually lodge themselves in those particular components. An antivirus program can remove all the malicious stuff, while leaving the important stuff in place.
- All antivirus programs are a database of old viruses that have come and gone. All the information is kept, however. This means that rereleasing a virus, like a remake of a 80s movie or hit song, will not be effective, as the software program will still recognize it. Your virus scanner will recognize both new and old viruses.
- Antivirus programs generally also clean up your computer, taking away files like cookies and caches that you do not need anymore. While these are not malicious files, they will make your machine slower. As such, they help keep your PC healthy overall.
Are you still convinced you do not need an antivirus program? The reality is that it is a very dangerous decision to not have one, unless you are not connected to the internet. Since it is believed the entire world will soon be online, it is unlikely that you are one of those very few people.